It was sometime last year when I first heard the term capsule wardrobe. I had no idea what it was and had to find out more. I later learned it was a small collection of clothes that could be mixed and matched together. Tops, bottoms, shoes and outerwear are included in this wardrobe but sleepwear, activewear, accessories and special occasion items are not included. You use these same clothes for 3 months and then switch some out for the next season.
What I love about the capsule wardrobe is that it really limits the amount of clothes you bring into your closet. It also makes you get creative with your clothes to use them in many different ways. I should know because I've had a capsule wardrobe for about 3 years now, even though I didn't know it until about a year ago.
Here are a few other reasons why I think capsule wardrobes are so awesome.
- They help you declutter.
- Laundry becomes easier with less clothes to wash!
- You can save money by not over buying clothes.
- With less clothing choices, you won't feel overwhelmed or stressed when trying to find what to wear.
- Your style can stand out with the creative ways you dress your clothes and pair them up.
- You will actually love the clothes in your closet because you will only be keeping your favorites.
- Finding clothes with price tags still attached will no longer be an issue.
- Saves lots of closet space!
- You're closet will look organized with less stuff crowding it!
- Pick about 30 seasonal items to keep for the current season (no more than 40).
- Get rid of any extra items for that season...you won't be needing them.
- Pack other seasonal items away.
- Use your capsule for three months, or the time frame of the season.
- Have fun mixing and matching your clothes.
- Swap some items out after 3 months for the next season so you can start the whole thing over again.
So, if you're going from summer to fall, then you might want to add a denim jacket to go with those tees and pack up your tanks for next summer. You can also swap those shorts for jeans to go with the cooler weather. You get it? I think it's very fun and easy!
Other capsule wardrobe tips...
- Accessories do not count for the capsule but I would try to pair them down too, especially if you have 20 scarves and only use 5 of them or 10 pairs of earrings but only use one pair.
- If you have a lot of shoes and don't want to give all of them up then separate them by season (keeping no more than 5 pairs per season) and switch them when you switch your clothes.
- Make sure you pick a few basic items that can be mixed and matched with any of the clothes, like a solid white or black tee.
- If you know you will be buying more items to add to your capsule through the season then start off with less items, like 25-30 items. This will still give you enough space to collect newer items (thought it's recommended not to buy new items during this time).
- If you want to have your capsule in your regular closet, separate all your clothes for each season and put the current season towards the front. This way it can be easier to get the current season's clothes. Also, use dividers so you will know where one season ends and the other begins.
Now I want to know, what you do you think of a capsule wardrobe? Do you have one too and didn't know it or is it too minimalistic for you? I'd love to hear your take on this!
I've linked up this post at these awesome parties!